some of the party girl's favorites...
Luau Birthday Party Ideas
What makes a luau birthday party perfect for the celebration? Luaus are colorful and fun and the food is fabulous (ok the tropical drinks are a nice touch.) So what's a better way to celebrate your birthday than with wonderful music, delicious food and favors that will make your guests feel like they are on the beach! Interested? Limbo on down the page for a few tips and tricks for a great time.
Birthday luau Invitations
An invitation sets the tone for the party before it ever starts – so it's important to WOW your guests with a personalized luau invitation. Add a lei or two and remind your guests to wear them for the party!
If you want a truly unique invitation we can design a semi custom invitation of the guest of honor as a beach man or beach woman. Add a flower wrist bracelet with each invite. Tell your guests they must wear the enclosed pieces, because you want them dressed up for your luau birthday party (be prepared for some fabulous aloha shirts.) This will have your guests talking well before the party!
Here are some fun luau theme wording examples that you can use on your invites, or even a party banner -
- Join us for a Tiki-rific Party to Celebrate John's 40th Birthday!
- Come and Hula by the Poola at Jackie's 30th Birthday Luau!
- Join us for a "Lei'd Back " Hawaiian Luau Birthday Party!
- Come and join in the fun, this Hula Girl is turning 21!
- The torches are lit, the theme is set... we're having a luau you'll never forget!
- We're going tropical for Kathleen's birthday, so break out the flip flops, grass skirts and leis!
- Dress code is Tacky Tourist (go ahead, show us your worst!)
- Put on your craziest Hawaiian shirts and a leis, bring a swimsuit, sunblock and shades!
Luau Birthday Party Decorations and Party Supplies
luau table decorations and menu
luau games and activitiesluau Party FavorsHere are a few more fun luau party favors (these also make great party games prizes!)
As your guests walk into your party make sure they dance right into the luau theme. At the entrance of the party have a life-sized cutout of the guest of honor as either a luau female or luau male. You can even have leis, bucket hats, and tropical glasses for your guests that want to limbo into the luau party.
Encourage your guests to leave birthday wishes on a 3D sign in book for the guest of honor. Leave the sign in book near the cutouts and wearables so everyone has a chance to leave their wishes.
If you can have this party on a tropical island or the beach then most of your decorations are taken care of. No tropical island or beach for you? Don't worry, we here at Party411.com can help you make this luau party authentic.
- If you are able, consider laying sand on the floor where you are hosting and make people take their shoes off. (Remember cleaning up sand is an issue.) If you can't have sand start setting the scene with a few beach scene setters while lighting a few mini tiki torches. You may not actually be on the beach your guests will feel as if they are!
- Have bouquets of tropical (or tropical looking) flowers all about... Bird of Paradise, Hybiscus, Red Anthurium, or Red Ginger flowers all work perfectly.
- Give all your guests name tags that feature their real name and their Hawaiian name with this translator!
- Get a instructional "How to Hula" DVD from the library or online and set up a TV where guests can learn. Set out a few grass skirts for then to practice in!
- For a big WOW factor hire a hula or fire dancer to perform at the party!
- Set the mood with music: one of those ocean sounds relaxation CDs playing by the pool, and a mix of Hawaiian music and the Beach Boys playing by the party area. Here are a few to add to your playlist:
- Blue Hawaii - Elvis Presley
- The Gilligan's Island Theme
- Wipeout - The Surfaris
- Kokomo - The Beach Boys
- Island Girl - Elton John
- Surfin USA - Beach Boys
- The Pina Colada Song - Escape
- Banana Boat Song - Harry Belafonte
- The Girl from Ipanema - Frank Sinatra
Give your guests a place to grab some shade with these inflatable palm trees. Bouquets are perfect at the entrance, on tables, and for highlighting areas like the bar or dancefloor.
luau table decorations and menu
Use party tablecovers with a luau pattern or tropical colors for incredible tables. Why not use luau party tableware to serve birthday food, like pineapple chicken, fruit kabobs, or even Kalua pig. Here are some easy foods to serve buffet style:
- Hawaiian ham and pineapple pizzas - simple and inexpensive... this is my favorite food idea!
- Sweet and sour meatballs
- Cinnamon chips with pineapple salsa
- Beef teriyaki on skewers
- Pulled pork sandwiches and baked beans
- Mini ham sandwiches on Hawaiian sweet rolls
- Chocolate cake and/or coconut cake
No matter what you serve, your guests will be interested in your bar. Line the bar with a raffia table skirt so your guests feel like they are on the beach.
Here are a few fun ideas for your Luau birthday bar:
- Place a few of the inflatable palm tree coolers thoughout your party space.
- Stock the coolers with water bottles with water and our personalized water bottle labels and cans of Hawaiian Fruit Punch.
- For a cute addition to your drinks, freeze gummy fish and sharks in ice cubes!
- Rent a slushie or margarita machine and serve frozen drinks with tiny umbrellas!
- Customize one of our luau theme banners to make a sign for over your bar! "Dorothy's Tropical Drinks" or "Margie's Margaritaville" will be a hit. Or do something fun like "Donald says 'Time flies when you are having rum!'" and add a picture of the birthday boy or girl with a drink in hand!
Whatever you choose to do for your bar you can not forget the cocktail umbrellas. Your guests will love them and it will make the party!
luau games and activities
Day or night, great entertainment is key to the success of any party. People will love a limbo contest! Make sure everyone participates because it will be a good time and everyone will enjoy it.
Luau Party Photo Booth
Set up a luau photo booth area where guests can get a little dressed up and take some great pictures!
- On the Beach Photo Booth - Use the Blue Sky & Ocean Beach Backdrop and the Beach Wall Backdrop with a 5 Foot Inflatable Palm Tree to one side. Give your guests flower leis, hula skirts and some inflatables (parrot, monkey, beach balls) for great pictures!
- Under the Sea Photo Booth - Picture your guests under the waves! Hand up a Coral Reef Room Roll Decoration and turn on the Tiki Bubble Machine! Guest can wear Felt Shark Hats and pose with inflatable sea life - Sea Turtle, Seahorse, Dolphin, and Shark!
- Custom Luau Party Tiki Photo Op - This is a fun photo op you can set along a 6' table and guests stick their faces into the tiki heads! add your custom wording or logo to the sign.
Let the winner get the first swing at the luau piñata. Your guests will love swinging at the elusive piñata, and then going after the candy! These will have your guests in hysterics as they watch the swings and misses. Don't forget your camera for unforgettable photos!
Don't forget to check out our Luau Games Page too!
Send your guests home with a sweet treat from your party. A scrumptious milk or dark chocolate candy bar with a personalized luau birthday wrapper is a delicious souvenir for the end of a wonderful party. It will be especially good for those who didn't get to any of the piñata candy!
- Fresh fruit basket with tropical fruit
- Jimmy Buffet or Beach Boys CD’s
- Custom Luau Theme Lollipop
- Bottle of rum (yum) for Mai Tai's
- Hawaiian Macadamia Nuts and Coffee
- Fun Hawaiian shirt (thrift store!)
- Luau Theme Mint and Candy Tins (personalized with your wording)
- Hawaiian themed movies and shows, such as Gidget Goes Hawaiian, Blue Hawaii, or Hawaii Five-O
- For the kids give out squirt guns, flip-flops, and sunglasses
Have a great time at your luau birthday party!