Sweet 16 Luau Party Ideas
Celebrate your birthday witha tropical bash that will sear summer into the minds of every guest! Sweet 16 Luau Party Ideas will bring the sizzle of a summer party to any time of the year. Hot!
Sweet 16 Luau Invitations
- Join us for a Tiki-rific Party to Celebrate Amy's 16th Birthday!
- Come and Hula by the Poola at Jackie's 16th Birthday Luau!
- Join us for a "Lei'd Back " Hawaiian Luau Sweet 16!
- Come and party in your sunscreen, this Hula Girl is turning 16!
- The torches are lit, the theme is set... we're having a luau you'll never forget!
- We're going tropical for Kathleen's birthday, so break out the flip flops, grass skirts and leis!
- Dress code is Tacky Tourist (go ahead, show us your worst!)
- Put on your craziest Hawaiian shirts and a few leis, bring a swimsuit, sunblock and shades!
Sweet 16 luau supplies and birthday decorations
To make a grand entrance, place bamboo Tiki torches and inflatable palm trees outside your door as the first indication to your guests that this is going to be the luau to remember. You may even want to adorn your porch rail or doorway with white twinkle lights for a festive effect.
- An inexpensive surfboard for everyone to sign fits perfectly in theme. Make sure to buy permanent markers!
- A 3D sign in book is a classic way to let guests leave message to the guest of honor.
- Have your guests fill out tropical postcards with birthday wishes and drop them into a mailbox!
Use a beach scene setter or netting as your backdrop around the room. Have a big basket of leis inside the door where people can help themselves to a few. I would plan on 5 or 6 per person so that they can be creative and festive with their leis. If you think you have the time, stand at the door and greet everyone with a lei--this is always a nice gesture and a traditional way of saying aloha.
Set up a great photo op near the front of the party so guests can snap pictures as they come in. Make sure to include your party's hashtag in a sign near the photo booth!
Luau Party Photo Booth
Set up a luau photo booth area where guests can get a little dressed up and take some great pictures!
- On the Beach Photo Booth - Use the Blue Sky & Ocean Beach Backdrop and the Beach Wall Backdrop with a 5 Foot Inflatable Palm Tree to one side. Give your guests flower leis, hula skirts and some inflatables (parrot, monkey, beach balls) for great pictures!
- Under the Sea Photo Booth - Picture your guests under the waves! Hand up a Coral Reef Room Roll Decoration and turn on the Tiki Bubble Machine! Guest can wear Felt Shark Hats and pose with inflatable sea life - Sea Turtle, Seahorse, Dolphin, and Shark!
- Custom Luau Party Tiki Photo Op - This is a fun photo op you can set along a 6' table and guests stick their faces into the tiki heads! add your custom wording or logo to the sign.
- Hire a Mermaid! Seek out local talent to come dressed as a mermaid and have your guests take photos with her. Over the top and memorable!
- Bright lanterns or ceiling swirls might be a nice touch, whether inside or in the back yard. Tribal masks are fun, too.
- Hang wind chimes and wooden parrots to give a complete background to your setting.
- Shells, sand and silk hibiscus flowers are in order here as well.
- If you really want to go crazy, rent realistic looking fake palm trees and wooden totem poles to place around the yard/patio.
- Bamboo torch candles are a must, and don’t forget the citronella candles on the tables.
If you are assigning seats or if you want to give out nametags (and this is wise when you have a lot of friends that don't know each other), here’s a thought: flip flops. They make for a great nametag or seating card. Just write the name in magic marker, add a 25¢ chain or ribbon (necklace) and voila--a humorous way to get people talking about your creativity and their flip flops. Line them up alphabetically on a table near the entrance.
Another thought on this is to use starfish or sand dollars and write the name of the person on it. For nametags, string some ribbon around it.
Fill the room with balloons in tropical colors (great as bouquets tied to a "real" pineapple), and flowers and you'll have a party to remember.
Sweet 16 Luau Table and Menu
- Beachcomber hats upside down are great to hold different snacks and munchies.
- A balloon bouquet weighted down with a bucket of sand makes a unique centerpiece.
- Another great ideas is to use a piñata as your centerpieces or if you prefer, hang them above the tables.
Make sure to use tropical colors for your tablecloths--yellow, green, hot pink, melon, orange and bright blue. Add your own seashells, maracas and sand.
Tropical Fruit PunchA fruity tropical punch is a great option for both children and adults. Mix 1/2 gallon pineapple juice, 1/2 gallon fruit punch, 1/2 gallon orange sherbet, and a 2 liter of ginger ale. Serve in a punch bowl and float pineapple rings on top.
- If you can, rent a slushie machine and serve frozen drinks with tiny umbrellas!
- Freeze the gummy fish and sharks in cubes of ice for drinks!
- Hollowed out pineapples, coconuts and oranges make great votive and tealight holders; use them to decorate your table.
- Colorful beach towels draped over plain plastic tablecloths will dress up the buffet!
- For a cute addition to your drinks, freeze gummy fish and sharks in ice cubes!
Serve tropical foods in a fun buffet:
- Hawaiian ham and pineapple pizzas - simple and inexpensive... this is my favorite food idea!
- Sweet and sour meatballs
- Cinnamon chips with pineapple salsa
- Sweet potatoes
- Chicken long rice
- Beef teriyaki
- Hawaiian chicken with ham and pineapple
- Chocolate cake and/or coconut cake
Sweet 16 Luau Games and Activities
A luau should have authentic Hawaiian dancers, hire the hula and fire-eating kind. Oh, and one last thing--don't forget to do the limbo!
Another common activity at a Sweet 16 party is the candle lighting ceremony. Checkout out the Sweet 16 Candle Lighting Ceremony Guide if you need instructions. And don't forget to check out our complete list of Sweet 16 Party Games!
Luau Party Favors
Hand out a special party favor your friends will be talking about long after the sun goes down. Here are some fun ideas:
- Personalized Luau Candy Bars - A personalized candy bar in milk or dark chocolate, what could be better than that?
- Custom Luau Lollipop - A sweet way to thank your guests for coming to your birthday!
From us here at Party411.com, have a super Sweet 16 luau!