some of party girl's favorites...
mardi gras theme costumes
feather headband mask
masquerade ball costume
evil jester costume
Voodoo Masquerade Halloween Party ThemeWhy not do the voodoo that you do so well this Halloween? A Mardi Gras Halloween party is a great idea. So what if Mardi Gras is usually in February or March! I won't tell if you won't! It's a time for reveling, getting unusually crazy and doing it all behind a mask. Invite your friends to do just that with you! As a special tribute to Voodoo of the South, take this twist to give your Mardi Gras Halloween party a touch of danger.
What is voodoo? Here's history on Voodoo in New Orleans.
masquerade Halloween Party Invitations
If you want to follow the voodoo theme, write your invitation as a spell, with the pertinent details, on parchment paper and send it off to your guests. Alternatively, send a voodoo doll with the invite, if you are brave enough to do it.
If you are feeling ambitious you can make masquerade masks into invitations! Use construction paper, glitter, sequins, feathers and anything else that will add sparkle to your works of art. Visit your local art supply store or craft store for some ideas and assistance. Put all of the party information on the reverse side of the masks. (Make sure to use a pen that won't show through on the front of the mask.)
If you don’t have time to create your own invitation but you still want the personal touch we have Halloween invitations and Mardi Gras invitations that you can personalize.
Halloween masquerade Decorations
The decorations for your Halloween masquerade should be darkly elegant. It is Halloween, so you should throw in some spooky elements too!
Welcome Your Guests
- Have your guests walk down a walkway of fencing and through cemetery complete with skeletons on their way into the party.
- Use "b" lights (those little ones you use at Christmas). Wrap them on your front porch railing or around your door.
- As your friends arrive, you may want a "greeter" at the front--dressed as a jester who is passing out goodies!
- Anyone who didn't come with a mask should be given a mask... it will add the the mystery!
- At the entry, set up a fog machine to fill the room.
- Add candles everywhere! Place them in holders so they don't catch costumes on fire!
- You may want to add gold coins scattered on top of the tables to make your presentation just right.
- Of course, a few hanging skulls wouldn't be amiss!
Table and Buffet Decorating Ideas
- Spanish moss piled around the bases of raised serving platters will give off a Mardi Gras voodoo vibe.
For centerpieces, use Mardi Gras hats on half the tables and crystal balls on the rest of the tables.
- At the fabric store, buy purple, black, and green fabrics--the fancier the better. (Patterned sheers work great) Drape them on your buffets, and over dining tables.
- Around the tables scatter beads or more confetti. Simple, inexpensive and fun.
Halloween Party Menu
You can go Louisiana/Cajun since Mardi Gras is a New Orleans thing...or you can serve regular, inexpensive fare because at some point, no one is going to care. Serve it on Mardi Gras paper goods. Illuminate your dining area with many candles.
Make sure you have a fabulous themed bar for your Halloween Masquerade! Here are a few drinks that we think will cast the perfect voodoo spell on your guests
Hurricane - the classic drink of Mardi Gras, and PERFECT for any masquerade!
1 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon or lime juice
4 ounces dark rum
4 ounces passion fruit syrup
1 Maraschino Cherry
In a cocktail shaker, add lemon juice, rum, passion fruit syrup, and crushed ice; shake vigorously for 1 - 2 minutes. Strain into a hurricane cocktail glass. Garnish with lime slice and a maraschino cherry. Serve with a long straw.
Masquerade Seabreeze Cocktail - Excellent tart cocktail from the Absolut Vodka website
4 Parts ABSOLUT VODKA
7 Parts Cranberry Juice
7 Parts Grapefruit Juice
1 Peel Lemon
Fill a shaker with ice cubes. Add all ingredients. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon.
masquerade Music and Activities
Get crazy. Pick a variety of tunes that suit Halloween and your own "festival." Or, orchestrate your own voodoo rituals. See www.voodoomuseum.com for some suggestions.
Pull out the old Ouija board or better yet, hire a professional palm reader or fortune teller to meet with your guests. Set up an area for them with a cemetery scene.
masquerade Halloween Party Favors
Party411 always provides a great selection of personalized candy bar wrappers that make the perfect party favor. There’s nothing better than candy on Halloween so take a moment to browse through this year’s selection of Halloween candy bar wrappers.
We also have a new party favor this year, personalized mint or candy tins, and they are fantastic. There are lots of great Halloween designs, and you personalize the message.
Have a Happy Halloween!