Summer Olympics Party Ideas
Celebrating the 2016 Summer Olympic Games
August 5 - 21
Unless you've been living in a cave somewhere, you know the 2016 Summer Olympics are almost upon us. You also know that this is the time when everything becomes OFFICIAL! Official this, official that...everything is the official whatever of the Olympics. So, why not host THE OFFICIAL PARTY OF THE 2016 RIO OLYMPICS?
You have plenty of time for you to put together a great theme party with some GAMES of your own...
Send an invitation inviting everyone to your "Olympic Village" where there will be food, fun and entertainment. When you have your guests RSVP have them indicate whether they want to be a judge, a referee, a participant or a spectator. That way, you'll know how many people are up for, say, pole vaulting!
Party411.com offers a wide variety of personalized Olympic themed invitations that are perfect for an Olympics theme party.
Another of our biggest selling invitations are ticket invitations. You get to use your own wording, choose from seven colors and can order as few as 30. So these are perfect for largest sporting event of the year….The 2016 Summer Games!
Ask your guests to wear a certain color t-shirt (or you can provide different color t-shirts or bandanas, etc., when they arrive), so that it's easy to divide into teams. Or if team sports aren't your thing, your Olympics could be on an individual basis. Whether people are watching or taking part, it's still a fun time.
Olympics Theme Party Decorations
You will need a personalized Olympics banner on your front door (or wherever) and an Olympic athlete cutout that welcomes everyone to The Olympic Village. I usually go overboard, so once my guests have entered, I would have directional signage on poles (a coat tree works really well) telling them where to go: Olympic Park, etc. You may also want to point out which sport is being played at which location.
You can also fill the room, the tent or even your backyard with Mylar sports balloons and matching color latex balloons in fabulous bouquets (use as centerpieces, start and finish line markers, etc.).
It’s important that everyone participate in the fun. A good way to make that happen is to “dress” your guests. We usually put a patriotic wearables out with some bracelets, beads, and pom poms, and let guests pick what they want to wear. The more gear they grab the more you see inhibitions disappear.
Olympic Games Party table decorations and Menu
- Feijoada (Brazilian Black Bean Stew) or
- Moqueca Fish Stew
- Pao de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread)
- Brazilian Lemonade
- Caipirinha Cocktails
- Great Britain - Fish and Chips (Fries)
- Germany - Hot Pretzels and Beer Cheese
- France - Crepes, Cheese
- Italy - Pizza
- Austraila - Vegemite on toast
- Sweden - Swedish Fish
- Hungary - Goulash
- China - Egg rolls
- Japan - Sushi
- Canada - Malple syrup candies
- USA - Apple Pie
- Russia - White Russians or Moscow Mules
- Carolina-Style BBQ Chicken
- Burgers with Toppings Bar
- Fried Chicken
- Corn on the Cob
- Pasta and Potato Salad
- Apple, Cherry or Blueberry Pie
- Peach Cobbler
- Sweet Tea or Lemonade
- Local Craft Beers
Then, of course, you'll need signs for the food and bars that say...OFFICIAL BAR OF THE 2016 OLYMPICS, etc. Table tents for each dish...OFFICIAL SALAD OF THE 2016 OLYMPICS.
- Gold - Absolut offers more than 30 gold theme drinks. The "Golden Daze" looks delicious.
- Silver - There are plenty of silver drink options. How about a "Honolulu Silver" or a "Silver Streak".
- Bronze - For bronze drinks, look through the gold drinks and pick a slightly deeper looking drink. The "Gold Roof" has a nice bronze glow.
The "Games" - Olympics Theme Party Games and Activities
You may choose to watch the games on TV, after all, that's the point, right? In between, though, create your own activities; try an Olympic Photo Op and your own mini Olympics.
Of course, you need games and/or competitions. Give out Olympic medals to the winners.
If you are celebrating someone's birthday, you may want to do things like passing the birthday torch, a birthday cake-eating race, a birthday hat heat, a birthday bash dash, etc. Use more generic games, if the party is just for fun... We have put together a fun selection of games for your Backyard Olympics Games.
Between the games, your guests will be standing in line to have their pictures taken with a sports theme life size photo opportunity from Party411.com. Make your guests dreams come true as they are transformed into a muscle man!
What about an Olympics party playlist to set the mood or for karaoke?
- The Girl From Ipanema - Tom Jobim
- Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen
- Heart of Gold - Neil Young
- American Girl - Tom Petty
- We Are The Champions - Queen
- American Woman - Lenny Kravitz
- American Pie - Don Don McLean
- Anarchy in the UK - The Sex Pistols
- Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
- Party in the U.S.A. - Miley Cyrus
- Eye of the Tiger - Survior
- What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
- We Are The World - USA for Africa
Summer Olympic Party Favors
Send your guests home with a sweet reminder from your Olympics party. If you have already given them an Olympic pin and a personalized house beverage your work may be done here. If not scrumptious milk or dark chocolate candy bar with a personalized Olympic Games candy bar wrapper is a delicious souvenir for a wonderful party.
Party411.com offers wonderful products that will make your party a memorable one. As your guests are leaving, they’ll be asking, when is your next event?!