60's Party Ideas: Peace, Love, Woodstock and Hippies
For some people, the music of this period is courtesy of Woodstock -- Jimi Hendrix, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Santana, Joe Cocker, the Rolling Stones, and the Who. I think the 60s are a great theme for a party! Pull out your bell bottoms and get ready to rock!
60s Theme Invitations
Here are some far out 60's theme party invitation options and ideas:
- Tie Dye Hippie Invitation - this custom invite will get your guests in a groovy mood! Personalize it with your wording.
- Groovy Neon 60's Party Invitation - bright colors and fun wording that you customize for your event. Groovy!
- Roll up tie-dyed T-shirts and tie them with a peace sign necklace. Hand-deliver them to your guests with the invite!
- Print the party info on a piece of white card stock and back it with a slightly larger piece in a bright color (aqua would be perfect). Add smiley face and peace sign stickers to make it pop!
- Recreate the Woodstock flyer! If your party is all about the music then show it on your invite!
- Or, use a fabulous custom caricature invitation that is drawn by our inhouse artist to your specifications! The sky is the limit with this invite!
- Set the mood! Switch your lights to colored bulbs to give the place a groovy glow.
- The 60's were the time of the British Invasion! Add the Union Jack to your decorations, and make sure you add The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones and The Who to your party playlist.
- Pop Art Prints are perfect for decorating your party space, or hang up psychedelic black light posters.
- Don't forget beaded curtains in the doorways!
- Set out a few lava lamps and beanbag chairs so guests have a place to chill.
- You can use 60s theme graphics like peace signs and big flowers to decorate the wall. These are easy to make on the computer or cut out of construction paper! For a larger event, hire a lighting company to project these images on the walls in a variety of colors.
Then take their pictures standing behind a VW bus photo op with a personalized camera and then let them keep the camera as a favor! Or, send them the pictures after the party and thank them for attending!
Next to the table, have a male or female lifesize caricature cutout of the host or the guest of honor to greet the guests. There is now a teenage Hippie available which is perfect if this theme is being used for a birthday or a Bat Mitzvah. Your guests will love it and the Bat Mitzvah celebrant will keep the cutout forever! For a Bar or Bat Mitzvah, you'll also want a 60s theme sign in board for your party!
Woodstock table decorations
Start with an assortment of solid color tablecloths. Red, yellow, blue, green - the more the better! Then use Woodstock theme tie dye paper goods including plates, cups and napkins. If you're looking to use linen, many linen companies have wonderful tie dye linens and napkins you can rent for your event.
- Vases of daisies make wonderful centerpieces for a 60's party
- Use nostalgic 60s candy on the table like atomic fireballs, Bit-o-honey, Bottle caps and more. You can find this great candy online or at many local party stores. You can put a bag of candy at each place with a custom label thanking your guests for attending, or scatter it around the table like confetti.
- Hippie hats with balloons coming out of the top (you'll need to make a small hole in the top of the hat for the ribbon to go through) also make festive 60s centerpieces.
- Tie-dye balloons are great for centerpieces (and decorating the party room).
60s party games and Activities
- Friendship Bracelet Making
- T-shirt tie dying
- Spin art
- Love Bead creation station
- Face Painting (use bright colors for power flowers, peace signs, smiley faces)
60s Theme Party Favors
There are great fun gifts that can be passed out to your guests as the dance the night away. Have a DJ? Give them a stash of these items to use throughout the night:
- Smiley face items - stickers, poppers, wearables
- Tie Dye Shirts
- Sugar cookies decorated like peace signs or smiley faces
- Glow jewelry--pretend it's black light poster time; I was there, I remember and it was grand. Glow jewelry will light up your night and take you back to the 60s. My special favorite...glow straws!
- Tambourines--all the hippies played them; they sat around with drums and tambourines and pretended they were far, far away. I wonder what they're thinking now?
- Inflatable Microphones--for anyone who wants to do their YMCA imitation.
- Inflatable guitars--for anyone who wants to do their Jimi Hendrix imitation.
- Peace Sign glasses-- tie-dye!
- Smiley Face bubbles-- very 60s!
At the end of the night, your guests will go home thinking your party was groovy! Send them away with a personalized hippie 60s lollipop party favor!