Just Add Guests™!
The Game Girl
can answer your questions now!
And the Award for Best Party Game Goes to…
With the film awards season almost upon us, it's time to come up with games for your party other than..."guess who's going to win!" even though guessing the winners is half the fun.
Double the excitement of the Oscars by playing "Trivial Awards" in between the announcement of the winners.
- Draw a large grid on poster board, with the number of questions going down the left-hand side, and the names of the players going across the top. Along the left-hand side, write down Trivial Questions about film awards, such as: "Most Embarrassing Speech," "Most Boring Speech," "Ugliest Outfit," "Most Risqué Gown," "Worst Hair Style," "Weirdest Walk to the Stage," "Oddest Couple," "Best Commercial," "Most Pompous Actor," "Most Excited to Win," and "Funniest Joke."
- As the awards take place, have players write down their suggested winners in each category.
- At the end of the awards, have them read their nominations and write them under their names in the grid.
- Then take a vote to see whom each player thinks should win the category.
- To determine the winners: The players who have the largest number of matches win points. For example, if Cher, Roseanne, and Madonna are nominated as wearing the "Ugliest Outfit," and Cher gets the most votes, the players who voted for her win points.
- After all the categories have been voted on, the player who has the most points of all wins the game.
Pin the Crown on the “It” Girl
Hollywood “It” girls are a part of Hollywood just as much as Sunset Boulevard. This game, similar to the classic Pin the Tail on the Donkey, crowns the guest of honor the “It” girl.
- Hat or Large Bowl
- Pieces of Paper
Hollywood Betting Pool
- Write all of the guest’s names on pieces of paper and place in a hat or large bowl.
- Draw a name out of the hat. That person is the “It” girl.
- One by one guests come up and try to place the tiara or crown on the “It” girl while blindfolded.
- The person who gets the tiara on the “It” girls crown, wins the prize.
Isaac Mizrahi the fashion designer suggests this game for a perfect Oscar party. Read some of his other tips here
- Sheets of Paper
- Poster Board
Diva or Damsel
- On the invitation indicate that there will be a betting pool for the Oscars and whoever wins receives a special gift.
- Prior to the party on the poster board write out the nominees for best movie.
- Set a limit for how much people can bet. Keep it low or play high stakes.
- Guests write out how much they are going to bet for the nominee they think will win.
- The person who chooses the winner and bet the most wins.
Another Isaac Mizrahi Oscar party game. For this game, have all of your guests come Red Carpet Ready!
- The idea of the game is to select the party Diva.
- Hand out stationery and pens to all of the guests as they arrive.
- Have them vote on who is dressed as a true Diva.
- Count all of the votes and the one with the most votes wins.
Name the Star
- Pictures of Movie Stars
- Pieces of Paper
- Poster Board
- Cut out pictures of movie stars from magazines or print some off of the Internet.
- Label each picture with a number and stick all of them onto poster board.
- When your guests arrive give them each a piece of paper with the numbers you chose for each movie star down the side.
- Each guest then guesses who each star is.
- The winner with the most correct answer wins.
This is a great game for a Hollywood themed kids party. On the invitation make sure you tell the parents to dress their kids in clothes they can get dirty.
- Gym Mats
- Plastic Swords
- Big Styrofoam Blocks
- Cardboard Boxes
- Play this game outside so you have enough room to set up the stunts.
- Before the party make signs that name each of the Hollywood Stunts. Try Kung Fu Fighting, Tarzan, Garbage Bin Rescue and more.
- Next set up all of the stunts, keep them safe with the gym mats and Styrofoam blocks.
- Organize the kids into teams and have them go from stunt to stunt.
- The team that finishes first wins.
- Hollywood Gift Basket, stuff it with fancy lotions, makeup, organic food items, tee-shirt, and other celebrity worthy items.
- Classic Hollywood Movies: Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, Rebel without a Cause, A Streetcar Named Desire and all the other great films.
- Movie Poster
- Movie Tickets