80's Theme Birthday Party Ideas
Like, Omigod! Are you itching to get back to a time when everything was "totally" cool? Why not relive it all with an 80s themed birthday party? You are totally cool aren't you? Celebrate in style with shoulder pads, swatch watches, a single, silver sparkle glove and wayfarer sunglasses. The music, the movies, the TV shows, even the toys made it an era to remember, so make this a birthday to remember!
80's Theme Party Invitations
The fun starts as soon as the invitation arrives. Watch out for Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde with this personalized 80s birthday invitation that brings us all back to the wonderful days of pixilated video game greatness.
One of these 80s invite ideas is sure to be a hit with guests, too:
- Remember your first concert and the hours you spent practicing air guitar for Bon Jovi, Journey and Madonna? Well, here’s your chance to have your own concert ticket. A personalized ticket invitation with all the party information on it is a unique way to start the birthday festivities. Or make your guests feel like VIPs with a backstage pass invite!
- Feeling creative like those kids from Weird Science? Designing your own invitations is much simpler than that. Use basic card stock paper in bright colors and announce your party with phrases like “Your Invited to a Most Excellent Party” or “Join Us for a Totally Awesome Party.” “Party on dude!”
- Go all out with a custom caricature invite! The sky is the limit with this option. The guest of honor can be the lead singer of their own big hair band or can be singing on a float in the middle of a parade (Ferris Bueller's Day off anyone?), or make them one member of The Breakfast Club!
- Throw a candy necklace or a package of Pop Rocks into the envelope for a surprise! The "sweetness" of your party will be apparent right away.
- A handful of 80s confetti is an easy addition to each envelope!
It's your birthday, and you can cry if you want to! Or you can make your guests dress in their 80s best. Remember bright neon colors are a must, jelly shoes, shoulder pads, off the shoulder sweatshirts, wide belts and cream colored suits with half shaven faces like on Miami Vice!
A great invite needs great wording. Choose one of these:
Like Oh My God!
You're Totally Invited to
Christy's Wicked Rad
30th Birthday Party!
Hey dudes and dudettes!
Put on your leg warmers,
Feather your hair,
And party TO THE MAX
At Jason's Totally 80s Party!
Ashley's 20th birthday
Whatever you decide, make sure to send your invites out 6-8 weeks in advance, so family and friends can mark their calendars.
80's birthday decorations and Party Supplies
Hang a personalized birthday banner to celebrate the guest of honor and get your guests ready to party. You can hang it at the entrance so your guests know exactly where to go. Remember they are going to be dressed to party so get them in the party mood right away.
80's Table Decorations and menu
These 80s theme paper goods will make your tables look fabulous! Get your guests ready to party TO THE MAX with a few more table decorations, too:
- Give your guests bottled water wrapped in these personalized 80s water labels. Add a themed message of your choosing!
- Of course, you can serve other beverages in a green, red or blue glow glasses. Can you even imagine how awesome all of those light up glasses will look on your table? Simply amazing.
- For centerpieces, start with over sized tall glass vases that you can get at a local party supply store. Fill them with fun 80s theme memorabilia for a great centerpiece.
- Go GLOW for your table themes! Put a fiber optic centerpiece in the center of each table and throw glow jewelry all around so guests can decorate themselves.
- If the guest of honor grew up during the 80s, order custom tabletop lanterns personalized with a photo of the birthday boy or girl from that decade. Guests will love laughing over their big 80s hair or matching velour sweatsuit!
- Keep it simple with a totally 80s cascade centerpiece that matches your invites.
Don't forget to scatter 80s confetti on each table to finish off the look!
80's Games and Entertainment
Your guests will be flaunting their 80s style, and they'll be itching dance to all of the classic gems from the decade. Pull out your old albums and spin the tunes, or make a playlist on your MP3 player. Your guests will be singing and dancing all night to the music of Hall and Oates, The Police, Wham, Phil Collins, the list goes on and on.
In case you don’t have a turntable, burn cds of your favorite music, and make additional copies because your guests will surely want one as a favor. Need some ideas? Be sure to include these songs on your "mix tape":
- Thriller - Michael Jackson
- Like a Virgin - Madonna
- Living On a Prayer - Bon Jovi
- Don't Stop Believing - Journey
- Walk Like an Egyptian - The Bangles
- Wake Me Up Before You Go - Wham!
- Livin' On a Prayer - Bon Jovi
- Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
- Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran
- Sweet Child o' Mine - Guns N' Roses
When everyone gets tired of dancing, be ready with some party games:
- Have everyone show off their fabulous 80's costumes in a fashion show. (Play I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred as they strut down the runway!)
- Play Trivial Pursuit, because if you remember, that was THE game. Or 80's trivia. Will anyone remember the tv show that featured those little blue men (The Smurfs) or know who really did shoot JR? You’ll have as much fun making up the questions as your guests will have playing the game!
- A balloon drop over the dance floor at the end of the night is great fun!
After all that fun, make sure to send your guests out the door with a little favor!
80's Party Favors
Like the 80's, your party will have to end at some point. To help your guests remember the night send them home with a delicious candy bar with a personalized wrapper. You could even send your guests home with a totally awesome mint tin container.
Rubik’s cube puzzles and yoyos are perfect themed favors, too. Pass them out early and you can have a yo yo contest or see who can solve the Rubik’s cube puzzle race. Whoever can walk the dog and finish the Rubik's cube wins.
If you want to give a grab bag instead consider adding some of these fine party favors:
- Leg Warmers
- Lip Gloss
- Candy Necklaces