With the holidays right around the corner, you're probably planning a Chanukah Party for your friends and relatives. And you'll have to keep your guests busy and happy with lots of games and activities! Here are some ideas to help you make your party fun and festive!
Spin the Dreidel
The most popular game during Hanukkah is a game of chance – the spinning of the dreidel.
- Each Hebrew letter on the four-sided top/dreidel stands for a game action:
- N (nun) = Get nothing from the kitty.
- G (gimel) = Get everything from the kitty.
- H (he) = Get half of the kitty.
- S (shin) = Put half the money in the kitty.
- If you don't have a dreidel already, you can purchase one at a party goods supply or toy store (they're also fun to make.) Have your guests bring pennies, gold-foil-wrapped chocolate coins, or candies to put in the kitty, or distribute these items yourself during game time.
- Have everyone place a penny or candy into the kitty and then take turns spinning the dreidel to determine who wins and who loses.
- At the end of the game, have everyone count their winnings, and use the pennies and candies to purchase small, wrapped gifts that you've prepared ahead of time.
- Write out a list of Chanukah related items on a piece of paper and photocopy enough for each of your guests.
- Divide guests into teams or couples, and give them a list of Chanukah-related items to locate, either in the house or around the neighborhood. Include items like: a menorah, a Chanukah card, gelt (chocolate coins), a Chanukah stamp, a present, candles, etc.
- Ask your guests to bring an inexpensive wrapped gift (appropriate for both a man or woman), with no gift tag on it.
- Have the guests draw numbers and choose a gift in numerical order. For added fun, let the next player have the choice of choosing a new gift, or stealing a gift from someone who has already opened it.
It's not just for Christmas anymore!
Make your own Menorah!
- Have guests bring three-dozen of their favorite cookies. Place the cookies on a table.
- When all have arrived, give the guests a paper plate and let them go around the table collecting cookies from each platter, until they have three dozen mixed cookies to take home!
Let the Games Begin!
The Game Girl